Saturday, September 28, 2013

Barrow Hill Live

This morning I spent an enjoyable few hours at Barrow Hill just outside Chesterfield at Barrow Hill Live enjoying trains from Z scale all the way up to 1:1. I went to a similar event last year which was run in conjunction with Model Rail magazine. This years event was quite a bit smaller but still very enjoyable. There was probably only a couple less layouts than last year but the real difference was the lack of trade stands. There were too large marques this year and both were packed. This year there was just one and it wasn't even half as full as last year. On the up side this means I came away without spending money on anything but a cup of coffee.

There were some really interesting layouts and some very interesting full size engines so rather than one long post I'll spread them out a bit. For this post I'll give you an arty shot of some driving wheels. Anyone care to guess at the loco?

3 comments:

  1. A lovely photo of...Tornado, I think? Wish I'd been there, sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's Tornado, one of four locos in steam today. I think it's a really great idea mixing models with full size locomotives and I'm surprised Model Rail magazine have moved away from the format this year. I really wish I'd made it to the recent "Great and Small" event at the Welsh Highland Railway for similar reasons and, of course, a chance to see Bron Hebog in person having admired it via Rob's blog for so long.

      Delete
  2. It must be five or six years since I last saw her in Darlington. She was in primer then but it was an amazing project. I'll have to get to see her again.

    ReplyDelete