Friday, May 2, 2014

Quarry Hunslet: Glazed and Confused

I've only got a short update today, but I thought it worth posting to try and lessen Iain's withdrawal symptoms (see here and here).

While the locomotive probably doesn't look much different from the last photo I showed you, I've added two small details today. The first job this morning was to glaze the cab windows. I did this using Micro Kristal Klear in the same way as I did the cab windows of the lorry I built for Jerusalem and more recently the Baguley-Drewry. Given how small the windows are this was the job of just a few moments -- much easier than trying to cut plastic to size!

The second detailing step was to re-varnish the smokebox and chimney. I'd previously sealed the paint using an aerosol of Humbrol satin varnish. I think the satin effect is glossy enough to represent the paint you usually find on a steam locomotive as gloss paints/varnish looks, at least to my eyes, too shiny in this scale. The one area where satin varnish doesn't work though is the smokebox and chimney. If you look at any photo of any steam engine you'll notice the this area of the loco is quite matt in appearance. I'm assuming this is to do with the heat either requiring a different paint, or altering the paint to make it appear matt. Either way, I gently brush painted on a little Humbrol matt acrylic varnish to add this extra detail.

And finally ... I'm giving advance notice to all those Quarry Hunslet addicts out there that I think there will only be two more posts before this build is complete!

4 comments:

  1. Looking great. Only two more posts? Oh, no! I will have no option but to actually get on with my own build, unless I can persuade Paul B to post more of his Hunslet...evil chuckle... Seriously though, this is really fine and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I enjoy your trials, tribulations and successes. Do they do Rolex Oyster kits?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting the right finish on a smokebox is pretty crucial to the look of a steam loco, matting it down works well. I rarely use black paint as is on any part of a model, preffering to use one of the 'weathered blacks'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i think once I get the hang of airbrushing and move away from aerosol cans of paint, I'll be switching to one or other of the weathered/dirty blacks rather than something as pristine as the plain black I used this time.

      Delete