Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A Rubbish Mockup

Yesterday I managed to grab a few minutes to wave a can of red oxide primer at the brass upper I'd made for the Rhosydd slate quarry rubbish wagon. As I mentioned in the first post on this topic, I haven't yet 3D printed an underframe for this wagon as I'm waiting until I have a number of things I want to order. Having said that, the underframe is similar in size to the 3 bar slab wagon I recently designed and had printed, so I thought I'd get a better idea of how the final thing would look by balancing the brass part on the slab wagon.

The light wasn't particularly conducive to photography but I still think it looks pretty good. The brass upper will now go into storage until I get the underframe printed so it will all get weathered at the same time to make sure that both parts match, but so far so good.

6 comments:

  1. It is good Mark. I can see you scratch building the whole lot in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Think about putting a few dings and dongs in it. I've never seen a skip that hasn't been abused.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. It might well gain a dent or too when it is on the right underframe as part of the weathering. I'm getting more confident at scratch building non-working bits, but I'm not sure I'd ever have the confidence to scratch build track or a locomotive with valve gear.

      Delete
    3. You might find track easier than you think. I've even wondered if in oo9 you could 3d print the base for a turnout

      Delete
  2. This does look the part, even in the red shade you have used for test purposes. I agree with Adrian, they did have the most terrible abuse meted out, I've photos of them in Dinorwig with 6 foot high piles of waste stacked on them! They must have creaked along, those axles were hardly Timken roller bearing fitted :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That red is an artifact of the camera; goodness knows what was going on. It's the same can I used here but the colour looks very different.

      Delete