Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hay Wagon

The mathematically inclined amongst you may have spotted that in yesterday's post I mentioned that I'd printed eight underframes but only four bodies of the Sand Hutton wagons. This wasn't because I wanted a surplus of underframes but because I'd also printed a second set of parts. While there are no drawings provided, and only two blurry photos, the book describes a wood frame 16 ft long and 6 ft wide that was fitted to two underframes and used to carry 70 trusses of hay.


Obviously with so little detail to go on I'm not sure how accurate this model is, but it clips nicely to two of the underframes and once I've figured out how to model 70 trusses of hay will be well hidden anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Are they trusses or bales? I can see either being a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I'm not actually sure I know the difference. The photo shows rectangular blocks which I would have usually called bales, but it refers to them as trusses in the text.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking that trusses were like sheafs of wheat. Rectangular are definitely bales.

      Delete
  2. Compress plasticine with etched paddles. I assume you can still get plasticine or something like it. Injection moulds would be a bit OTT. I suppose, of course, you could print them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I like the compressed plasticine idea, although I'd probably use DAS clay instead. I guess they'd look a bit like the hay bales you see in goods farm toys, but would be a good starting point. Certainly food for thought.

      Delete