Friday, April 24, 2015

Setting the Bar

As I mentioned in the previous post the newest prototype of my Hudson-Hunslet diesel locomotive wasn't behaving very well and so spent most of it's time at Rainford last weekend in the Narrow Planet display case. This meant though that I didn't need to leave the first prototype on display in the same place. Instead I put it on display in the 009 Society display case which meant it was entered into the modelling competition. Unfortunately I had to leave before the results were announced, although after the judging had taken place. It turns out that people really do like it!


I actually found out earlier in the week that it was awarded runner up in its class (Internal Combustion Locomotives) but it was nice to have the confirmation arrive in the post today. Given that this is only the third locomotive I've finished, in any scale, and the first one I've designed myself I'm really impressed that people seem to like it so much. It does mean that I've set the bar rather high though for any future models I build or design. I'm hoping it wasn't just beginners luck and that I'll be able to hone my skills and maybe one day produce an even better model for the competition.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent result, and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. It's been a fairly stressful couple of weeks with both work and home life, so this cheered me up no end!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations.
    What won and did it deserve to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      As to what won I've been told it was a "British Westinghouse W^D loco" but I didn't take any photos of the display stand so I've no idea what it looked like, but given it won I'm assuming it deserved to. There should be photos and a report in the society newsletter at some point so hopefully I'll find out.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. I'm sure you'll go on to greater things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - nice to see something developed from scratch and turned into this. I can see your point about finding room for weighting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm planning on something a little bigger next where hopefully I'll be able to add a bit more weight!

      Delete